Upgrade Guide For Sitecore 7.5 to Sitecore 8.0
In today's guide, I'm going to talk through my experience of upgrading Sitecore from version 7.5 to 8. Sitecore isn't always the easiest platform to upgrade at times, compared to some of the other CMS products on the market. Updating a Nuget package is a lot easier than some of the hoops you will need to jump through with Sitecore, but, 7.5 to 8 went pretty well from my experience of previous versions. Whenever you work with a Sitecore upgrade, it is vital that you start the right way, follow the right process and don't cut any corners. The steps outlined by Sitecore are there for a reason. In the past, I've tried to skip a step here or there to save time and it's always bitten me in the ass and added more time to an upgrade. Before we go into the upgrade in more detail, I should point out that every solution is different and consequently every upgrade is different. What works and what went wrong for me might not work for you. The best advice I can give is to start off with the Sitecore upgrade manual and then use guides like this as a real world reference if you run into snags.
Getting The FilesIn order to upgrade from Sitecore 7.5 to 8.0 you will need to head over to dev.sitecore.net and download a few files.
- Sitecore 8 Upgrade Guide
- Sitecore XP 8 upgrade package
- Sitecore 8 Config Files and scripts.zip
- Sitecore Update Installation Wizard 1.0.0 rev. 150619
- Configuration File Changes
- Sitecore 8.0 Installer
Back-upBefore you upgrade any Sitecore project, also make sure you make back-up copies of the core, web, master and reporting databases. In life, things go wrong and they will... so making sure you can roll back your database and webroot will make your life a lot easier.
Install Sitecore Update Installation Wizard 1.0.0 rev. 150619The first thing you need to do is install the 'Installation Wizard' package. In your Sitecore instance, go to the Sitecore desktop: 'www.website.com/sitecore/shell/' and open the installation wizard, from 'Start' -> 'Development Tools' -> 'Installation Wizard'. Select 'Sitecore Update Installation Wizard 1.0.0 rev. 150619.zip' from your local hard-drive, click 'Next' and follow the instructions to install it. You may need to override some of your existing files.
Run SQL ScriptsIn 'Sitecore 8 Config Files and scripts.zip' you should see two folders, the SQL scripts are in the 'Upgrade scripts' folder. You will need to run 'Core_80_UpdateTableLinks' against Core, Web and Master. You will need to run 'Analytics_80_PreInstall' against the reporting databases. When you run the reporting script you will need to change the database name in the line below, to your local reporting instance: [sql] USE [Sitecore_Analytics]; [/sql]
Pre-Config ChangesIn 'web.config file' delete this line:
<processor type="Sitecore.Pipelines.HttpRequest.PageEditorHandleNoLayout, Sitecore.Kernel" />In 'Sitecore.Analytics.config', set 'Analytics.Enabled' to false, like this:
<setting name="Analytics.Enabled" value="false" />Delete this line: Change the filename of 'Sitecore.Forms.config' to 'Sitecore.Forms.config.disabled'
Back-up your filesIf, like me, you will then start your upgrade process locally to make sure it works and then upgrades production later. If you need to run the upgrade wizard on a test or staging environment afterwards, copying the files now, prevents you from having to re-follow the steps listed above again.
Issues EncounteredThe first time I tried to run the installer I pretty much instantaneously, hit this error '"History path is not set". This error was down to my stupidity and not following the installation properly. I hadn't installed ''Sitecore Update Installation Wizard 1.0.0 rev. 150619.zip'. After installing as part of the guidelines, the installer happily carried on.
Install the UpdateTo install the update, in your web browser, make sure you are logged into Sitecore, then go to this Url:
http://www.yourwebsite.com/sitecore/admin/UpdateInstallationWizard.aspxFrom the upgrade wizard, select 'Sitecore 8.0 rev. 141212.update' from your PC and click 'View Package Information' Click 'Analyze and install the package' Click 'Install' then sit back and wait! On my local dev machine, the upgrade took about 30 minutes to finish.